Today, I was accosted by two Campus for Christ members in the tunnels.
To be honest, it was almost funny. I was sitting at a table in the area between the library and my next class, making notes in my film textbook with my laptop open. Besides me, the table was empty. Then, two girls came over. Initially I assumed they wanted to ask what the time was or something like that. But they were a little too awkward and hesitant. Eventually though, it came out that they were from C4C and wanted to chat about "spiritual things".
This was clearly a "evangelism training" session for the younger girl. To be honest, I forget both of their names now too...not that I'd name them anyway. But to be truthful, they probably forgot mine too. The older one, a pleasantly pretty blonde, did the majority of the question-asking and was very obedient to her script. I know because I've seen it before. Ask about background, find points of similarity, share elements of own story with at least 40% relevancy, and reference group that you belong to/work with. The other girl didn't say much, other than her name and the occasional affirmative head nod.
Why me? Probably because I'm a non-threatening white girl who looks somewhat academic and also kind of like a softy. All of which are true, which leads me to believe that stereotypes are sometimes not in my best interest.
It was funny because they immediately assumed and were prepared for a background I didn't have, for things I wasn't going to say, and they didn't really listen to the one I did. Not on purpose, I'm sure, but it's hard to see things you're not looking for.
I'm not trying to rip on these girls for trying to convert me/get me to come to C4C/whatever, but I'm just saying. Sometimes, it's thought provoking when you're on the other side of the table and you don't feel so much like a person, but a target.
And sometimes, you're playing for the same team anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment