29.4.13
Apologies: to the people I never got to say it to, and the people I've said too many to.
I'm sorry for stealing that fuzzy fabric square from grade one arts and crafts. Even after the big classroom announcement, I was too scared to bring it back and I hid it in my closet. It haunted me for years in there.
I'm sorry I dumped the training toilet on your head. That was inappropriate. I'd like to say I was too young to know any better, but...I wasn't.
I'm sorry I didn't come clean immediately when they blamed you. I guess there's a trend developing, but sometimes it can take me some time to do the right thing. I'm trying to, I promise.
I'm sorry I was so insecure. I know that probably wrecked any chances of things working out there.
I'm sorry for not spending more time with you when I could, and for resenting your concern for me.
I'm sorry I get impatient with you as you get older. You're still the sweetest dog around; just a little senile.
I'm sorry for not putting in more of an effort to see you. It's not that I don't care; it's that I'm too scared of getting used to you and then the inevitable distance.
I'm sorry for the time I heard them make a joke about you that wasn't funny, and I laughed along because it was easier than standing up for you.
I'm sorry for judging you without knowing you at all, or for developing a lot of angry feelings towards you.
I'm sorry for throwing out that shoebox of letters. I'm not sorry that life's moved on from then, or that I'm over it, but I'm sorry that I was so bitter when I did it.
I'm sorry for not always loving you the way I said I would. And I'm sorry for the way things changed. I don't know what I could have done differently, but I wish I did.
I'm sorry for playing along with your games, even when it wasn't authentic. Sometimes it seems easier to stick to the script, but it obviously wasn't right.
I'm sorry for letting you down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment