I have had a variety of blogs in the past, most of which I either grew disinterested in, forgot about, or got sick of reading my old posts in. It's not that I ever really stopped loving writing, but my subject matter, mood, and general outlook tend to change, and sometimes that resulted in me getting rid of old blogs. Currently, I have this one, as well as a tumblr account. I also follow a fairly large amount of blogs, more than I actually have time to read, but on occasion I do, in fact, take the time to check them out. And I've developed a way to sort the different types of blogs out there.
First, it should be noted that there is a huge difference between the types of blogs/the places people choose to blog. WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, etc all cater to different styles, and often end up attracting niche audiences.
Note: I'm also going to engage in some stereotyping in this post, so please just take it with a grain of salt and develop your own opinion if you don't like mine.
Tumblr, as a general rule, incorporates many more diverse styles of media: photos, video, memes, copious amounts of gif's...for those who understand mild amounts of geekspeak, it's a virtual playground. For those who don't, they still get the benefit of posting any and all things they find remotely interesting. I do it myself, so I'm not trying to rip on these people because of it. Very few posters actually write posts of a significant length, unless it's to bemoan romantic difficulties. There is a significant population of people who are in the process of questioning their sexuality, as well as people who appreciate the culture of the '90's. In addition, there are also a great amount of thinspo, shipping, and just really weird stuff out there. Not to say some of it isn't interesting or valid or useful...but it's sort of like the internet is a haven for all the people who have some serious issues and can find other people with similar problems and start thinking they're normal.
Blogger, to the best of my knowledge thus far, is primarily cynical wannabe writers, hopeful wannabe writers, mothers writing about their young children, Bible studies, propaganda, pet owners, people with singular obsessions, and people with too much time on their hands. No hate to any of these groups, it's just that everything I've seen thus far fits into one or more of these.
So, that's the start. I'm gonna probably talk more about this later, but it's currently exam time and I've procrastinated enough as it is. So I'll keep you posted :)
Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment